If you have this same question I had, here’s my take on air purifiers based on my experience. I’ve wanted to try one since we got our puppy last year and air purifiers are supposed to help with pet dander, pollen and dust inside the house.
How do air purifiers work?
Air purifiers usually consists of a filter or in some cases, multiple filters and a fan that sucks in polluted air and pushes out clean air. These filters are made of paper, fiber or mesh in most of them. These filters need replacements over the years based on their shelf life.
Are air purifiers effective?
Yes! I tried an air purifier for the first time last year after we got our puppy Maui. I got the Sharp air Purifier that also comes with a built-in humidifier, which has been so good for winters, specifically when the heater inside the house makes the air so dry. I always have an itchy throat/dry cough during the winter months because of dry air. Believe me when I say this, it is the first time in all the winters so far when I haven’t had an itchy throat and dry cough. So yes, the Sharp air purifier has been effective!
The filters on the Sharp Air purifier is true HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter that promises to traps 99.97% of particles in the air. HEPA filters capture these particles within a multi-layered netted filter that is usually made out of very fine fiberglass threads. This purifier also comes with a carbon filter that absorbs many common household odours – caused by cooking, smoke etc. We got a purifier because we needed to get rid of any pet dander, especially now that Maui spends so much time in every room.
Air purifier benefits
These are some of the things that the Sharp Air Purifier has helped us with so far –
- Allergens: Pollen, pet dander, and dust mites are some common airborne allergens. Air purifiers with HEPA filters are supposed to be very effective for getting rid of airborne allergens. My husband loves that the Sharp air purifier helps with pet dander as he sometimes finds it hard to breathe with the pet dander in the air. He also has dust allergies so this handles that very well and makes sure we’re breathing clean air always.
- Smoke: I have an open concept kitchen which means my living room has the cooking smell always. Sharp air purifier has helped with removing any cooking odours and smoke.
- Humidity: Sharp air purifier also has an in-built humidifier that adds humidity to the air for improved air quality and maximum comfort, especially in colder weather. It also helps reduce static electricity that results from dry air. This humidifier feature has also helped me with the itchy throat that I used to get earlier during winters.
I also love that the Sharp air purifier comes with a Library Quiet feature that is ideal for bedrooms and living rooms. Silent Mode is as quiet as 28 decibels with humidifier on, about the volume of rustling leaves. This is one of the quietest Air Purifiers with a HEPA filter available anywhere, in my opinion.
Sharp Air Purifier Benefits
Apart from the benefits I’ve listed above, this is how the Sharp air purifier stands out more –
- Front Display – shows Plasmacluster® operation, dust monitor, humidity level, and indicator light to determine when the water tank needs to be refilled.
- Plasmacluster® Technology – splits water molecules into positively and negatively charged ions, which spread throughout the room, surrounding airborne particles. This system effectively restores the natural balance of ions in the air, like near a waterfall or just after a thunderstorm. This restored balance helps refresh the air and leaves it cleaner smelling.
- Easy Operation – with “Instant On” buttons for Clean Air, Clean Air & Humidify and Quick Clean mode.
- Clean Sign Indicator – shows the level of impurities in the air so it’s easy to see the progress as it returns healthier, cleaner air into the room.
- Manual Operation – lets you choose among 3 fan speeds, plus Pollen and Quick Clean modes.
- Automatic Operation – uses the sensor to automatically adjust fan speed for the degree of cleaning required.
- Plasmacluster® Ion Mode – can be switched between Clean Mode/Ion Control Mode and Auto mode automatically. Maintains the natural ion balance in the room.
Availability: They are available on Amazon
Overall, I would definitely recommend having an air purifier in the house if you have a pet, an open concept kitchen or just hate the dry air during winters. It’s also good for anyone with dust allergies.